Thursday, May 6, 2010

Travelling to Cuba!


The most meaningful trip of my life was to Cuba, this travel was in the summer of 2008. I went there with my mother and my younger brother for 24 days. We enjoy meeting “La Habana”, “Guanabo” and “Baracoa”.

Going to Cuba on vacation was very significant to me for two reasons: Firstly; because I always wanted to meet such a different and particular social system, Cuba it is an exception as political regimen in the world. Secondly, and most important, my older brother live in Cuba because of the fact that he study medicine in the ELAM.

The ex Cuban president, Fidel Castro, conceived the creation of the Latin American School of Medicine (ELAM), to train doctors free of charge, which after a lapse of six years, must return to their communities to contribute to the sustainability of their health systems. My brother study there since four years ago with students from 24 different countries

I was surprise with the city of “La Habana”, because it was full with old cars from the 50s and earlier as well as Russian Ladas everywhere. Old sidecar motorcycles are also a popular way to get around; I personally travelled in one of them.

I also visited “Habana Vieja”, which is a fascinating colonial city, the age and beauty of the buildings is astounding. Of course I saw the Capitolio, several of the big museums, the Hotel England and some of the bars that Hemingway frequented.

No comments:

Post a Comment